Like gadgets, web design changes from time to time. If you don’t come up with new ideas, you will quickly find out you are pretty much left behind. To give off a professional impression of your website, you want to ensure that your designs are up to date and taking advantage of the latest trends. Similar to a walk-in interview, you always want to make a professional impression by ensuring your resumes are updated.
It’s possible you may still want to follow the old-fashioned way, or don’t want to constantly change your web designs. That is understandable but you have to consider your clients and your market. More often than not, the market is always after the latest, easily impressed with the latest designs and technology. You don’t have to follow a particular trend or style. You can still follow your own design, but being aware of what the new trends are can help you achieve success without losing originality.
Here are the Top 8 Awesome Web Design Tips
1. Quick and fast loading Web Site Designs
It is very painfully annoying when a site takes long time to load up. Even if the designs are fantastic, it is useless if visitors can’t see it or aren’t willing to wait a long time for it to finish loading properly. Any website should not take more than just a few seconds to load.
2. Keep your website clutter-free and neat
Sometimes a simple design can increase visitor engagement. The World Wide Web has become so congested with advertisements, icons, pop-ups, banners and so on, that the user often gets tired of having to click and navigate through so many different elements. If the website is clean, clutter-free and simple, it adds to the user experience and a visitor will likely spend more time navigating.
3. Remove sidebars
Sidebars have become more of a nuisance than helpful to the user. Marketers have found ways to use sidebars for their own strategies, decreasing user experience. Make the content the focus of the website. Remove sidebars that are not necessary, and retain only the ones that you think will compliment your content. Clear navigation can help a visitor go through your site. Important links should be placed at strategic places that a visitor would probably see right away.
4. Invest in tools that are very important
It can be expensive but it’s often worth the price tag! Investing in tools such as Adobe Illustrator or Fireworks will be a great help. Understand that the purpose of a website is to increase traffic among internet users. Creating a site that is reader-friendly will definitely attract more visitors than poorly designed websites.
5. Ensuring your fonts are easy to read
Text is essential to capture your visitor’s interest. A website is created to provide information, to answer questions and give definitions of certain products. Ensuring that your readers will have a comfortable and relaxing time viewing and reading your website content will increase traffic and meets the goal of your site. Here are a few tips that would help a designer with font’s style and size.
- Don’t use small or tiny fonts. It may look good on your website but be realistic. Again the purpose of the site is to get viewers who can read your text without giving them headache.
- Color coding. Ensure that the colors are complimenting each other without causing dizziness to your visitors. If your website’s background is white, don’t use light colors for your letters.
- Imagery. It is very important to have images on your website. The trend now a day includes large imagery and real ones. This catches attention since it will relate to your viewers. Studies have confirmed, conducted by The Nielsen Norman Group, that people in general are no longer interested with artificial imagery.
- Create a theme. Choose the same fonts or at least more than two fonts for your text. Ensure that your fonts are also readable.
- Branding. You want to show your viewers your vision and how they perceived you. By creating a brand that focuses on your cause will help your visitors understand the purpose of your website.
6. Web compatibility
Almost everyone uses mobiles to connect to the internet. Ensuring that your design can work with any browsers is important. Not all internet users use the same browsers. If your web designs only works with Chrome but not with Firefox then study and look for ways for your designs to be compatible with any browsers and of course with any mobiles and OS.
7. Important skills you need to learn for Web Designing:
- HTML – This is a must when it comes to website designing. Every web designer should have this skill learned. Learn more about HTML here.
- CSS or Cascading Style Sheets. This is the reason why you see pleasant to fantastic designs you see from some websites. Learn more about CSS here.
- jQuery – not only you can make your sites interactive but you can add widgets, such calendar and a host of other apps. Learn more about jQuery here.
- PHP – is needed if you are planning to create a large website. Visit the official PHP website.
…these are skills that are absolutely important when creating a web design. There are several self-help tools on the net, where you can learn these skills free.
8. Create and follow your own style guides
To have harmony or create uniformity all over your website as a web designer you have the option to create your own design. This is applicable if your site is large and there are other team members involve in creating the said web site. This is to ensure that you are all on the same page.
Creating a web site is pretty much like creating your own image. You want people to come up to a specific definition of you. In designing a website, following the rules listed will give you an edge among other designers!